Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Giving credit...

I am NOT a pioneer.  I have learned that about myself.  I am still an engineer at heart.  Show me how to do it and I will do it... better... faster.  So when I started this business I found myself wanting to emulate successful people in the same field and not blaze my own path.  While searching websites for who was actually out in my new profession I came across Deanna and her website.


At the time I found her site, I was still in the early stages of how to set up and classify my business (LLC, Sole Proprietor, etc..).  I thought it couldn't hurt to call her and see if she'd talk to me about how she went about setting up her business.  I figured had several things going for me:
1) She's in Texas like me so I would hope she would know what were some of the legal requirements and necessary certifications to running a Financial Counseling business.  Turns out there are very little in the way of requirements and no certifications necessary :)

2) I'm far enough away that I'm not viewed as competition.  College Station is kind of her western edge and farther east than I think my name will ever get so our markets don't really cross.  Shoot if I could get my name beyond South Austin I'd be a happy camper.

We talked for 45 min and she gave me insight into the business that I could have spent many years learning with trial and error.  So for all that I'd like to say a BIG THANKS!!!


No comments: